With the holidays quickly approaching, many of us find ourselves in a frenzy of preparation. It is important to remember that this exciting and festive time is also when burglaries and break-ins peak.
Having a business security system is an effective defense against these risks, however additional precautionary methods are always encouraged to provide your business the highest level of protection. Follow these basic steps to ensure that this year’s holiday season is a joyous and safe one for you, your business and your employees.
Six Simple Steps to Help Keep Burglars Out
- Install outside lights that stay on overnight at all entry points and leave an interior light on at night so that movement inside is visible.
- Bolt down any safes so that they cannot be carried away.
- Secure all valuable inventory after hours.
- Leave the cash register empty and open after hours.
- Change security codes and passwords every few months or ever time an employee leaves.
- Keep a record of serial numbers for all valuables in a secure location away from the business.
With the holidays, comes an increase in home and business burglaries. Implementing a few extra security measures before you leave for vacation could prevent your home or business from being targeted.
Stop the mail and paper. Nothing screams you’re gone like a pile of mail and newspapers outside of your home or business. Have the mail and paper stopped while you are gone so burglars don’t know you’re out of town.
Let there be light. Darkness on the inside suggests a home or business is empty. Use timers to light parts of your home or business while you are gone to give the appearance that someone is there.
Notify the neighbors. Letting your neighbors know when you will be gone will give your home or business extra protection and allow them to report anything suspicious.
Tell the Police. Many police departments will provide periodical checks on your home or business if you let them know you're going out of town. Contact your local police department to find out if they offer this service.
Have any questions about how to best protect your home or business this holiday season? Contact us today!